Emergency Workforce Development Officer
Institution: World Health Organization
Job Type: Full time
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
In the context of the WHO Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPR) Directorate, the incumbent will systematically track the emergency workforce at the Regional level. He/She will work closely with the human resource team and the other units within the EPR program to build a robust emergency workforce. The aim is to ensure we have a robust regional emergency workforce readily available to respond rapidly to and address the HR needs of WHO Country Offices (WCOs) and Member States. The incumbent is expected to work outside of regular office hours during emergencies.
Description Of Duties
- During deployment, the duty station may change, and duties may be modified based on the technical needs of the Programme. The incumbent will be responsible for the below duties:
- Develop/establish/strengthen a system for rapid identification and deployment of experts
- Provide response teams with a list of available experts based on request
- Support the development of roster calls to identify experts
- Support the committee responsible for review of CVs for expert identification
- Provide regular update report on emergency workforce in the region
- Follow up with HR on the rapid deployment and recruitment of experts
- Support SURGE flagship initiative on workforce development
- Collaborate with capacity building officer to keep track of trained experts within the region
- Support the review/develop ToRs for the different IMS functions
- Support the adaptation / development / updating of the tools for surge management, information management & Perform analysis (KPIs, HR request to AFRO etc)
- Maintain a platform for continuous interaction with the pool of experts including regular simulations exercises
- Negotiate with the experts’ employers and sign memorandum of understanding for immediate release upon need for deployment as part of a surge team.
- Updating / develop SoPs for Activation and deactivation of Surge
- Conduct assessments for WHO, WCO and partner skills capacity gaps and develop a schedule of capacity building.
- Identifying and collaborate with partner/professional training institutions
- Establishment of national emergency workforce roster
- Support capacity building of the selected experts by updating/developing/ training and pre-deployment and deployment briefing materials/ tools, SoPs, guidelines, PMDs etc
- Develop training modules to address the various skills gaps for capacity development including online and offline trainings etc
- Necessary survival kits are available for staff to be deployed including First aid kits, PEP kits, PPE, and personal or office logistics including Visibility materials, IT etc.
- Perform any other related incident-specific duties as required by the functional supervisor.
Essential: Master’s degree in n public health Business administration and management, Business, or related to the functions of the position.
Essential: At least seven years of related experience, at the national and international levels, emergency management.
Desirable: Prior emergency disaster and health outbreak response or humanitarian working experience in the field level, with WHO/UN, health cluster partners, recognized humanitarian organizations or with an international nongovernmental organization.
- Strong skills in the area of developing and establishing polices and strategies;
- Excellent skills and ability in managing diverse teams.
- Good skills in mobilizing resources.
- Demonstrated ability to act independently, exercise sound judgment and take initiative
- Excellent analytical and negotiation skills.
- WHO Competencies
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Moving forward in a changing environment
Use Of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Desirable: Knowledge of another WHO language would be an asset
Method of Application
Interested , Go to World Health Organization on https://careers.who.int/careersection to apply
Closing Date: Aug 25, 2022